1. Long Read: Exploring Leadership Culture — Our first Long Read of the semester was just published Monday under our Campus Projects Editor Taylor Blatchford. The Long Read explores the culture of our campus student leadership within four organizations: the Missouri Students Association, Summer Welcome, Tour Team and the Alumni Association Student Board, along with their methods to remove bias from their application processes.
2. Graduate students express concerns at open forum — Peter Baugh, a freshman, who is also one of two assistant sports editors, covered and took photos for us at this event. Graduate students shared their “myriad of concerns” with administration (minus Chancellor R. Bowen Loftin), including the cuts to graduate student health insurance.
3. German swimmers start to settle in at Mizzou after WKU hazing scandal — German swimmers Fabian Schwingenschlogl and Nadine Laemmler transferred to MU and joined the swim team after Western Kentucky University’s swim team announced a five-year suspension in April after reports regarding hazing, harassment and sexual assault surfaced. Peter Baugh wrote this story for us and it ran on the front page of issue three.
4. Topless rally marches through campus — This story (and the paired photo) got over 78.875 online views. Mizzou Topless, a new student organization, marched through campus Aug. 23 chanting “free your breasts, free your mind.” Note: it’s legal to go topless in the city of Columbia.
5. Truman’s Closet ‘attacks’ gender stereotyping with new label-free apparel — Truman’s Closet, which provides free professional business attire rentals to the MU community, removed any labels regarding gender from their clothing.